ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT HUSK ORTHOPAEDIC PILLOW – made in Britain
Makura, a traditional Japanese orthopaedic pillow that has helped people achieve comfortable and restorative nights sleep for centuries in Japan. Using buckwheat husks in a pillow at first seemed rather strange. The husks give extra support for your neck and head while keeping your spine in a natural alignment. The pillows assist in a great nights sleep and can also give support while resting in a chair or sofa. They may offer relief from back and shoulder pain, insomnia, headaches and neck pain etc. Rachel started making these orthopaedic pillows because she suffered from intense stiffness in her shoulders. After using this type of pillow for several months she found this stiffness was gradually easing until one day the stiffness was gone. In these times we are becoming much more aware and conscious of the beauty in using and living with natural fibres and materials. Rachel does believe this is the best pillow she has ever encountered and she has sourced the very best fabrics and fillings available.
SIZE: Each orthopaedic pillow measures approximately 20 inches X 13 inches. This size creates a pillow that is not too heavy and easy to snuggle up to. The compressed buckwheat husks allow air to circulate and keep your head cool.
BUCKWHEAT: The organic buckwheat husks are grown in Ormskirk, Lancashire where they are thoroughly cleaned to ensure your pillow feels light and has a fresh aroma. You may be interested in how buckwheat is grown in the UK and the many benefits of growing this plant.
FABRICS: We offer a selection of fabrics that are natural and organic. These beautiful fabrics are all woven in Burnley, Lancashire, the birthplace of the world’s industrialised cotton weaving industry in the north of England.
ADJUSTMENT: As each person’s needs may vary slightly we have hand stitched a section at one end of the pillow to allow our customers to easily open the pillow and adjust the number of buckwheat husks inside their orthopaedic pillow for optimum comfort and spine alignment. We enclose a needle and thread with instructions on how to restitch the pillow using a basic overcast stitch, please watch our ‘how to’ video if you need additional help. We decided not to incorporate a zip fastener in our pillows as this would make our product less sustainable and involve the use of either a plastic or a metal zipper. The act of fastening the pillow using stitches is not only a good skill to acquire but is also kinder to our environment and we like to encourage that.
CARE: Mongoose moon can also supply beautiful crisp 100% cotton pillow slips to fit over your Makura. These pillows will last you for many years. Instead of buying a new pillow you can wash the pillow fabric and dry naturally. Try using Terra wash, it is an ecological way of washing fabrics. Do not attempt to wash the buckwheat husks. Once removed from the pillow the husks can be placed in the sun to naturally cleanse them. You may purchase extra organic buckwheat husks from mongoose moon to top up your pillow filling if needed.
The buckwheat is tested to meet the UK fire regulations required for bedding.
When eventually you need to dispose of your pillow the husks can go in your compost bin.
CHARITY: To promote this new product we are giving 100% from each pillow sale to the charity lepra. 75 pillow sales will raise £1500 to help people whose lives are affected by leprosy. This promotion gives you a pillow filled with organic buckwheat husks for £20 + postage & packaging. This offer covers the sale of our first 75 pillows. All we ask is that you write a review for us.
Organic buckwheat husk orthopaedic pillow, organic linen with cotton ticking stripe.
CONTACT: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
More fabric choices will be available.
1. Having suffered a very painful neck condition for many years I have always relied on a shaped orthopaedic pillow to relieve the pain and help me to sleep. Unfortunately being made of memory foam it makes me hot and sweaty during the night.
I have tried the “Organic Buckwheat Husk” pillow for the past month and although feeling very strange at first I very quickly got used to it and find that I can shape it to support my neck and head very easily and it has the added advantage of being very much cooler than the foam orthopaedic pillow.
Whilst the change has not dramatically affected the level of pain to date, it is cooler and more comfortable. Anna.
2. The pillow is especially good for neck support encouraging a straighter neck position. It also has a satisfying rustle reminding me of the outdoors while being in a warm and comfortable bed. Barbara.
3. Thank you for making me a larger pillow than your standard size, it is perfect for someone my size. I have to sleep on my side, and your pillow helps keep the pressure off my shoulder as it pushes into the mattress. My shoulder used to ache so much it sometimes woke me up, but the firmness of the buckwheat takes the pressure off my shoulder and stops it hurting, so I’m very pleased you made me a larger one. Thank you very much! William.
4. If you need a good solid restful nights sleep don’t hesitate to try these pillows.
At first they seem hard compared to ones normal pillow but as soon as you nestle your head within it you drift away. You need to try it for yourself to appreciate this new sleeping experience. Wake up and see !!!! Sian.
5. Thank you for your excellent orthopaedic pillow, it is proving brilliant at relieving my stiff neck and alleviating migraines. Since using the pillow I have not suffered a single migraine. The pillow is a beautiful handmade piece and I shall be recommending them to my friends. Jeremy.
6. Thank you so much for sending the orthopaedic pillow, my head used to get so hot at night but no longer. I found it very comfortable and have difficulty waking up in the morning! Regards Jane.